The Graduate School at UMBC may offer admission to applicants who do not have the required TOEFL or IELTS score. Applicants must meet all other requirements for admission to UMBC.
The following programs require a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT or IELTS score of 6.5. Students without these scores may receive conditional admission.
- M.S. Emergency Health Services (GRE scores not required unless CGPA < 3.20)
- M.S. Human Centered Computing (GRE scores not required)
- M.S. Information Systems (GRE scores not required)
International Graduate Pathway Program
The following programs require a minimum TOEFL score of 99 iBT, IELTS score of 7.0, or PTE score of 68. Applicants with scores of at least 80 iBT, 6.5 IELTS, or 53 PTE may be admitted to the Pathway Program.
- M.P.S. Cybersecurity
- M.P.S. Data Science
- M.S. Engineering Management
- M.P.S. Geographic Information Systems
- M.P.S. Health Information Technology
- M.S. Systems Engineering
- M.P.S. Technical Management
Note: GRE scores are not required for admission to the Pathway Program.
Other Graduate Programs
The following programs do not offer conditional or pathway admission; applicants must achieve the TOEFL or IELTS score required by the department.
If you are interested in a graduate degree program that does not offer conditional or pathway admission, the ELI can help you to improve your English skills and prepare for the TOEFL, IELTS and GRE exams. You may study at the ELI until you gain admission to your chosen degree program at UMBC or another university.
- All PhD programs
- M.S. Applied Mathematics
- M.S. Applied Molecular Biology
- M.A. Applied Sociology
- M.S. Atmospheric Physics
- M.S. Biological Sciences
- M.S. Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
- M.S. Chemistry
- M.S. Computer Engineering
- M.S. Computer Science
- M.A. Economic Policy Analysis
- M.A. Education (MAE)
- M.S. Electrical Engineering
- M.P.S. Entrepreneurship, Innovation & Leadership
- M.S. Environmental Engineering
- M.S. Geography & Environmental Systems
- M.A. Historical Studies
- M.A. Human Services Psychology
- M.P.S. Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- M.A. Instructional Systems Development (online only)
- M.A. Intercultural Communication
- M.F.A. Intermedia & Digital Arts
- M.A. Management of Aging Services
- M.S. Marine-Estuarine Environmental Sciences
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- M.S. Physics
- M.P.P. Public Policy
- M.S. Statistics
- M.A. Teaching (MAT)
- M.A. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- M.A. Texts, Technologies & Literature