If you meet the academic requirements for admission to UMBC but do not have the required TOEFL or IELTS score, you may apply to the ELI-Undergraduate Bridge Program. You will study at the ELI until you pass Level 5 (advanced). Then, you may begin your bachelor’s degree program at UMBC. No TOEFL or IELTS score is required!
Note: if you have a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT or 6.5 IELTS, you may apply directly to Undergraduate Admissions. You should not apply to the Bridge Program.
Bridge Program Advantages
- Admission to the ELI and UMBC with ONE application
- Fast admissions process (freshman applicants will receive a decision in as little as two weeks)
- No TOEFL, IELTS, or SAT/ACT required
- Adjustment to American lifestyle and academic culture before you begin your degree program
- Opportunity to start university coursework in your final semester of English language training
UMBC Majors and Degrees
UMBC offers more than 40 majors in the College of Engineering and Information Technology, the College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, and the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. View our complete list of majors or read detailed information about each program’s requirements.
How To Apply
Now you can apply to the Bridge Program online.
(1) Click “APPLY NOW” on the top right-hand corner of this screen. (Or go to: https://www.enrole.com/umbc/jsp/course.jsp?categoryId=99BA8AA8&courseId=APPLBRDG)
(2) Select the session dates you would like to apply to.
(3) Follow the instructions.
Important Note: application documents become the property of UMBC and the ELI cannot return them to you, even if you decide not to attend the Bridge Program. Therefore, we recommend that you do not mail us your only copies of important documents.
You need the following documents:
- Completed Bridge Application Form (NOTE: You will find a link to the form in the confirmation letter that you will receive after applying online)
$150 application fee (to be paid by credit card – non-refundable)
A copy of your passport (the page(s) of your photo and, if any, any valid visa)
A copy of all transcripts of the schools you have attended since high school (NOTE: For the speedy admission process, you may want to submit the English-translated transcript)
Financial documents for Form I-20
Completed and signed the UMBC Statement of Financial Support that is attached to the last page of the application form (NOTE: only required if the financial documents are not in the applicant’s name)
If you completed any academic study at a college or university outside the U.S., you are considered a transfer applicant. You must send additional application documents, even if you do not want UMBC credit for the coursework you completed:
Note: if you attempted only ESL or other non-credit study, it is not necessary to send additional documents. Please apply as a freshman.
If you are studying at another U.S. school and wish to transfer your SEVIS record (your I-20) to UMBC, please send these additional documents with your application:
- I-20 Transfer Form, signed by an advisor at your current school
- Copy of your F-1 visa, I-94, and Form I-20 for your current school
After you receive your Bridge Program acceptance letter, please show it to an immigration advisor at your current school and ask the advisor to transfer your SEVIS record (your I-20) to UMBC.
The ELI cannot accept Admission Purpose Only (APO) letters. We can accept a final Financial Guarantee (FG) from the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) or a bank statement.
UMBC will not review incomplete Bridge Program applications. To be considered, applications must include the required financial documents.